Visit our Re-post guidelines
Ever since the World Health Organization admitted in 2011 that cell phone radiation is "possibly carcinogenic," and may be contributing to the global uptick in brain cancer cases, its far harder to label someone a hypochondriac for being concerned about the health consequences of exposure.[i] In fact, one study cited in their report showed a 40% increased risk for gliomas in the highest category of heavy users (reported average: 30 minutes per day over a 10-year period) – not exactly a small effect.
A recent study published in the journal Cellular and Molecular Neurobiology confirms that the microwave radiation given off by mobile phones is capable of transforming normal cells into cancerous ones.
Titled "Cellular Neoplastic Transformation Induced by 916 MHz Microwave Radiation," researchers exposed fibroblast cells, a connective tissue-producing type of cell, to 916 MHz electromagnetic frequencies (which have already been shown to alter brain biomolecules), and found that after 5-8 weeks exposure they changed their form and rate of proliferation to a cancerous phenotype. These cells were also found to be tumor-forming when transplanted into mice.
What You Can Do To Protect Yourself
Realistically, most people reading this article will not be decommissioning their iphones or androids anytime soon. These devices enable us to stay closely connected to our loved ones, as well as to connect to the global brain which is the internet. But what this research does implore us to do is to exercise caution. Here are a few steps to take to reduce exposure:
- Wear a headset or earphones to keep the device as far away from your head and/or other vital organs as possible.
- Turn the device off whenever it is not being used.
- If you are a heavy user, consider incorporating one of the following proven cell-phone radiation mitigating substances:
- Bee Propolis – A compound found within bee propolis, which is like the mortar the bees use to repair and maintain the structural integrity of their hive, known as caffeic acid phenethyl ester (CAPE), has been experimentally tested to protect the kidneys, hearts and retinas of cell-phone exposed mice. Our bee propolis research page actually lists 12 studies on its radioprotective properties, including protecting against diagnostic and/or "therapeutic" (e.g. radiotherapy) gamma-radiation.
- Melatonin – Melatonin is released during deep, restful sleep – which is always the best way to obtain this natural protective secretion. Melatonin has been studied for its ability to protect against cell-phone induced retinal and kidney damage. Like propolis, melatonin has also been shown to have powerful radioprotective properties against gamma-radiation induced oxidative stress and tissue injury.
- EGCG (green tea polyphenol) – Green tea contains a potent antioxidant known as EGCG (epigallocatechin-gallate) and which has been shown to protect the liver against mobile-phone induced radiation damage.
- Ginkgo Biloba – This plant never ceases to amaze. Not only is it the oldest living plant (a "living fossil") known to man, but it seems to provide a broad range of benefits to brain and cognitive health. It has been experimentally confirmed to prevent mobile-phone induced oxidative stress in the rat brain.
- N-acetyl-cysteine (NAC) – NAC is the the precursor to glutathione, a powerful cell-protective antioxidant that your body produces, given it has adequate cofactors available. It has been shown to protect the liver against mobile-phone induced damage.
For additional tips, read contributing writer, Susan Calabro's nifty article titled "4-Acupuncture-Inspired Ways to Stop Neurotic Phone Checking"
For those interested in learning more about the plausible mechanism through which cell phones cause brain cancer, listen to Dr. Chris Busby's explanation: