Abstract Title:

Spirosolane-containing Solanum species and induction of congenital craniofacial malformations.

Abstract Source:

Toxicon. 1990 ;28(8):873-84. PMID: 2080514

Abstract Author(s):

R F Keeler, D C Baker, W Gaffield

Article Affiliation:

United States Department of Agriculture, Poisonous Plant Research Laboratory, Logan, UT 84321.

Abstract:

Comparison by GC analysis of purified alkaloid extracts of Solanum species revealed no measurable free solasodine, other spirosolanes, or any non-spirosolane steroidal alkaloid aglycones in unhydrolyzed total alkaloid fractions of fruit of Solanum elaeagnifolium Cav. (silverleaf nightshade), Solanum sarrachoides (S. villosum Lam.--hairy nightshade), Solanum dulcamara L. (European bittersweet nightshade) or Solanum melongena L. (eggplant). All alkaloidal material was apparently present as glycoside. Conversely, sprouts of Solanum tuberosum L. (potato) contained 67% of its alkaloids as glycosides, which was freed only upon hydrolysis with the remaining 33% present as free solanidine. GC/MS analysis of hydrolysates of purified extracts of the test Solanum species revealed that solasodine was a principal or sole aglycone of the alkaloid glycosides in each of the test species except Solanum tuberosum. In the latter, solanidine was the sole aglycone. Among the test species, exclusive of S. tuberosum, only S. dulcamara contained aglycones other than solasodine. In addition to solasodine, S. dulcamara contained appreciable amounts of an unknown spirosolane, an aglycone provisionally identified as soladulcidine. The induction of congenital craniofacial malformations in hamsters by high oral doses of the four Solanum species that contained mainly solasodine glycosides--S. elaeagnifolium, S. dulcamara, S. sarrachoides and S. melongena was compared to inductions of malformations by Solanum tuberosum, that contained mainly solanidane glycosides. Compared to controls, Solanum elaeagnifolium and Solanum dulcamara fruit both induced a high percentage incidence of deformed litters (20.4 and 16.3, respectively) that was statistically significant (P less than 0.001 level) while percentage incidence of deformed litters induced by Solanum sarrachoides and Solanum melongena fruit (9.5 and 7.6 respectively) were both higher than controls (3.4%), in neither case was the incidence statistically significant (P less than .05). Deformed litter incidence induced by sprouts of Solanum tuberosum was 24.0%, (P less than 0.001).

Study Type : Animal Study

Print Options


Key Research Topics

Sayer Ji
Founder of GreenMedInfo.com

Subscribe to our informative Newsletter & get Nature's Evidence-Based Pharmacy

Our newsletter serves 500,000 with essential news, research & healthy tips, daily.

Download Now

500+ pages of Natural Medicine Alternatives and Information.

This website is for information purposes only. By providing the information contained herein we are not diagnosing, treating, curing, mitigating, or preventing any type of disease or medical condition. Before beginning any type of natural, integrative or conventional treatment regimen, it is advisable to seek the advice of a licensed healthcare professional.

© Copyright 2008-2020 GreenMedInfo.com, Journal Articles copyright of original owners, MeSH copyright NLM.