Visit our Re-post guidelines
French Study Treating HPV With Reishi and Trametes
The researchers then randomized the HPV-positive patients and for two months the researchers treated 20 patients with the medicinal mushroom species Laetiporus sulphureus. The other 41 patients were treated with a combination of Trametes versicolor and Ganoderma lucidum.
After the two months, the researchers found that 88% of the 41 patients treated with Trametes versicolor and Ganoderma lucidum tested negative for HPV. In the other group, 5% tested negative for HPV.
U.S. Research Using Mycelia Extract on HPV
On the heels of this study comes research from the University of Texas Medical School and the UT Health Science Center. A series of studies – a small human study preceded by a study on mice – has shown that a medicinal mushroom extract called AHCC is effective in eradicating human papillomavirus (HPV).
The results of this study were presented at the 11th International Conference of the Society for Integrative Oncology in
In the study, ten women who tested positive for HPV were treated with the mushroom mycelia extract called AHCC. AHCC stands for active hexose correlated compound. It is an extract from the mycelia of Shiitake mushroom (Lentinula edodes) along with other medicinal mushrooms. The mycelia is the root-like fingers that weave within the growing medium – whether soil or in the case of AHCC cultivation, within rice bran.
The patients were given three grams (3,000 mg) of the AHCC once a day for at least six months. During that period, eight of the patients tested negative for HPV, including three that were confirmed eradicated after stopping the AHCC treatment.
The other two patients are continuing the treatment.
The research, led by Dr. Judith Smith, a professor at the
"We were able to determine that at least three months of treatment is necessary but some need to extend that to six months. Since AHCC is a nutritional supplement with no side effects and other immune modulating benefits, we will be planning on using six months of treatment in our phase II clinical study to have consistent study treatment plan. This confirms our earlier preclinical research."
Preclinical Research Supported Eradication Hypothesis
The preclinical research Dr. Smith refers to is a study done on in vitro cells and mice. The researchers gave 50 milligrams per kilogram of the AHCC to mice with HPV16/18 for 90 days with 30 days of follow up, and compared to untreated mice.
This study found that for the cell treatments, seven days of AHCC treatment followed by seven days of no treatment resulted in eradication of the HPV. In the mice, 90 days of treatment with 30 days of no treatment resulted in eradication of the HPV. In mice treated with tumors, significant tumor suppression was found.
Other Research Confirmed Eradication
This study is confirmed by another study – this from
This study tested human cervical cells infected with human papillomavirus together with cervical cancer cells. The cells were tested variously with difference concentrations of Ganoderma lucidum mushroom extract (water extract) for 24 hours each. Different sources of Reishi mushroom s were also tested. One source was
After tested with nuclear DNA fragmentation, the researchers found that all three Reishi mushroom extracts inhibited the growth of cancer and the HPV infection among the cells.
HPV Infections Rampant
According to the CDC, there are at least 40 HPV types (possibly over 100) transmitted, with type 16 and 18 coming with the highest risk of cervical cancer later on. Over 14 million new cases occur within the
By age fifty, 80 percent of sexually active women will have had an HPV infection according to the Centers for Disease Control. HPV-16 appears to cause over 60 percent of all cervical cancer cases, with HPV-18 apparent in another 7 to 10 percent of cases. Approximately 90 percent of HPV infections are cleared by the immune system within two years. However, the remaining 10 percent face a high risk of cervical cancer.
Hernández-Márquez E, Lagunas-Martínez A, Bermudez-Morales VH, Burgete-García I, León-Rivera I, Montiel-Arcos E, García-Villa E, Gariglio P, Madrid-Marina VV, Ondarza-Vidaurreta RN. Inhibitory activity of Lingzhi or Reishi medicinal mushroom, Ganodermalucidum (higher Basidiomycetes) on transformed cells by human papillomavirus.Int J Med Mushrooms. 2014;16(2):179-87.
Ding Y, Seow SV, Huang CH, Liew LM, Lim YC, Kuo IC, Chua KY. Coadministration of the fungalimmunomodulatory protein FIP-Fve and a tumour-associated antigen enhancedantitumour immunity. Immunology. 2009 Sep;128(1 Suppl):e881-94. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2567.2009.03099.x.
Plummer M, Schiffman M, Castle PE, Maucort-Boulch D, Wheeler, CM, ALTS Group. A 2-year prospective study of human papillomaviruspersistence among women with a cytological diagnosis of atypical squamous cellsof undetermined significance or low-grade squamous intraepithelial lesion. J Infect Dis. 2007:195(11):1582-9.